Self introduction letter

 Subject: Self-introduction and Goals


Dear Professor Blackstone,

I am Quan Xin, a first-year Mechanical Engineering student in the UCS1001-Critical Thinking and Communicating class, which you are teaching. The purpose of this letter is to introduce myself to you.

In 2022, I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a diploma in Mechanical Engineering. My three-year journey at the polytechnic was not only enjoyable but also incredibly enriching. It provided me with unforgettable memories and real-life experiences that have equipped me for my future career. Honestly, I was not particularly interest towards mechanical engineering, and all other engineering programmes before my polytechnic life. However, as I progress through my studies, I found my interest in the engineering field grows and especially drawn to mechanical engineering. What sparks my interest is when I realized that the world is rapidly transitioning into Industry 4.0. Industry 4.0 is revolutionizing the way companies manufacture, improve and distribute their products. In mechanical engineering, a module name 'Integrated Real-World Project.' firmly grabbed my interest. Through this module, I had the opportunity to explore industrial automation and 3D modelling in machine design through many projects related to industry 4.0 and all these experiences deepened my understanding in industrial 4.0. Thus, I chose to pursue Mechanical engineering in SIT where I can further my studies in mechanical engineering and be prepared in this fast revolution world.

My strength is my ability to truly understand what my audience want. I can create feasible and effective solutions to resolve my audience problem for example. However, like everyone else, I am not perfect, I have weaknesses too. One of my greatest weaknesses is public speaking in front of a large crowd. In such situations, my voice tends to quiver, and my body will tremble due anxiety. Nevertheless, I am determined to step out of my comfort zone and conquer this challenge in this module, as there will be lots of opportunities for me to deliver presentations in front of my fellow classmates.

My goal in this module is to hone my public speaking skills, ensuring that I am well-prepared for the future workplace, where frequent presentations in front large groups are common. I know that conquering fear requires pushing boundaries, so I am determined to push myself out of the comfort zone, no matter how tough it may be. I believe that with the support of you and my fellow engineering peers, I can grow and become confident and fluent public speaker.

Best regards,

Quan Xin

评论

  1. Great introduction. I can picture a passionate engineer with tons of ideas. Hope you are able to overcome your fear in the near future. A small suggestion is to expand the description of Industrial 4.0.

    回复删除
    回复
    1. Hello YK,
      Thank you for your kind words and feedback! I appreciate your encouragement. Overcoming fear is indeed a continuous journey, and I'm committed to pushing my boundaries.
      Cheers,
      Quanxin

      删除
  2. Hi Quan Xin, your introduction has given me a clearer look at who you are and your passion for engineering. I hope that in this module you will be able to achieve your goal of honing your public speaking skills. I look forward to hearing you present in class in the future!

    回复删除
  3. Dear Quan Xin,

    Thanks much for the well focused, clear and concise letter. You provide a plethora of supporting details for your main points, so that we get a good sense of who you are. I'm impressed by the description of how step by step you realized the value of studying ME.
    It's also informative how you have openly explained your comm skills needs and how those tie to your module goals.

    The language here is generally fluent, but there are a few areas where you need to do minor editing:

    1. overuse of caps
    -- a first-year Mechanical Engineering student > ?
    -- a diploma in Mechanical Engineering. > (Will this phrase be capped or not?)
    -- to pursue Mechanical engineering in SIT > ?

    2. verb use
    -- I was not particularly interest towards ... > (verb form) ?
    -- as I progress through my studies, > (verb tense) ?
    -- I found my interest in the engineering field grows and especially drawn to mechanical engineering. > (inonsistent tense usage) ?
    -- What sparks my interest is when I realized that.... > (past or present?) ?
    -- what my audience want. > (subject-verb disagreement) ?

    Let's work on these.

    I look forward to interacting with you more in the course of our work.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    回复删除
    回复
    1. Dear Professor Blackstone,
      Thank you for your detailed feedback on my letters. I will focus more on my grammar when I write letters in the future.
      Best regards,
      QuanXin

      删除
  4. Thanks for the great introduction Quan Xin! You were able to give me a thorough rundown on both your educational background and how your interest for mechanical engineering evolved. The organisation of the letter is well structured, starting with your background, highlighting your strengths and weaknesses, and concluding with a clear goal. You seem like you are aware of what you want to work on and are determined to overcome your challenges.

    Overall, a well written post that carries your enthusiasm onto the reader. I look forward to working with you in class to overcome our personal challenges together. Cheers!

    回复删除
    回复
    1. Dear Wei Jie,
      Thank you for taking your time to review my letter! Really thank you for commenting on the different aspects of my letter.
      Best wishes,
      Quanxin

      删除

发表评论